Talsi town map. Walking routs

 
Old part of Talsi

Distance – 1,2 km, duration – 30 min

  1. Talsi Folk House (Liela Street 19/21). Built in 1912 as Talsi Community House.
  2. Town or Central Square and the first Rock Garden in Talsi, designed by gardener V.Berzins (1965).
  3. Stylized ethnographic sign of ancient Couronians ”Talsi Sun Ornament” /Talsu saulite/, the symbol of Light, Sun and Day (Liela Street 25).
  4. Talsi Lake.
  5. Wall between Liela Street and Baznickalns /the Church Hill/ was made in 1909.
  6. Building with a weathervane on Liela Street 41, built at the beginning of the 20th century as a store to be owned by the first female entrepreneur Anna Bekere.
  7. Rock Garden on the corner of Udens and Kaleju Streets.
  8. Buildings on Baznicas laukums /Church square/ 1, 2 built in the 18th century, a significant ancient housing element.
  9. Old market place, currently the Baznicas laukums /Church square/.
  10. Baznickalns /Church Hill/ – a cult site to our ancestors prior to the church was built.
  11. Talsi Evangelic Lutheran Church (1567) – the oldest stone building in Talsi. From 1802 to 1836 it was the workplace of pastor Karl Ferdinand Amenda who was a friend of the great composer Ludvig van Beethoven.
  12. Congregational House and Christian Family Center (Baznicas laukums 5).
  13. Liela Street joins the old and the new part of Talsi.
  14. Building on Liela Street 33 – Town Council House during the first independece period of Latvia.
  15. Building on Liela Street 26 is a former Talsi district elementary school (20’s and 30’s of the 20th century).

 
Dzirnavkalns
/Mill Hill/ – Baznickalns /Church Hill/ – Pilskalns /Castle Mound/

Distance – 2 km, duration – 1 h.

  1. Talsi Folk House (Liela Street 19/21). Built in 1912 as Talsi Community House.
  1. Stylized ethnographic sign of ancient Couronians ” Talsi Sun Ornament” (Talsu saulite), the symbol of Light, Sun and Day (Liela Street 25).
  1. Ezera laukums /Lake Square/ - venue for Dižmāras fair at the beginning of the 20th century and nowadays.
  2. Memorial site ”Circle of Life, Shadow of Death” dedicated to the victims of the 28th June 1997 tragedy in Talsi (by sculptor O.Feldbergs).
  3. Ezera laukums 1 – a former volunteer fire department of Talsi (1874) and the first movie theater (1926).
  4. Building on Kalna Street 4 – doctor Gustavs Blaze’s house (1910), from 1920 to 1960 there was a post, telegraph and telephone office.
  5. Building on Kalna Street 3, built in the middle of 19th century, architectural monument.
  6. Kalna Street 6. Town residence of Baron Heiking built in the middle of the 19th century.
  7. Site of a German Order’s stone castle (15-17th century).
  8. Dzirnavkalns /Mill Hill/ – name comes from the mill that was in operation from the middle of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century.
  9. A former Jewish synagogue-located on Kalna Street 5 (1837-1941), but on Kalna Street 5a there used to be a summer synagogue (1854 – 1941).
  10. Joint stock company ”Talsu piensaimnieks” ( Kalna Street 10), producer of the cheese ”Talsu ritulis”, has already been operating as a co-operative society since 1922.
  1. Baznickalns /Church Hill/ – a cult site to our ancestors prior to the church was built.
  2. Talsi Evangelic Lutheran Church (1567) – the oldest stone building in Talsi. From 1802 to 1836 it was the workplace of pastor Karl Ferdinand Amenda who was a friend of the great composer Ludvig van Beethoven.
  1. Laidzes Street – one of the most ancient cobble stone streets made in 1870.
  2. Building on Laidzes Street 4 was the first pharmacy in Talsi (1787).
  3. Building on Rozu Street 7 – was designed as both a living house and an office for the lawyer Vilis Kaijgars (1939). After the owner’s exile to Siberia – Talsi Regional Museum (1948 – 1996).
  4. Milenbaha Street 10, 12, 14, 20/22 - a significant ancient housing element.
  5. Gym of Talsi Secondary School No.2 and preliminary school (K. Milenbaha Street 32). Its architects - Uldis Pilens, Guna Pilena, Dzintars Heinsbergs and Ilze Kauke - were awarded the Great Award of Latvian Architecture 2008 for the best design of newly erected public buildings.
  6. Talsi Regional Museum – reflection on historic, art and nature values of Talsi region (Milenbaha Street 19). A former town residence Villa Hochheim owned by Baron G.Firkx of Okte (from 1883 to the agricultural reform of 1920’s) .
  7. Roman Catholic Church of Talsi (V.Rugena Street 6). Ringing of three bells – Faith, Hope and Love – can be heard from the belfry built in 2005.
  8. Talsi Hospital (V.Rugena Street 7), founded in 1894.
  9. Talsi Castle Mound – settlement of ancient Livs and Couronians from 10th to 14th century.
  1. Talsi Lake – historically also called Martinelli and Ronne lake.
  1. The building on Udens Street 3, at the beginning of the 19th century there used to be a Ronne’s fur factory, which is why Talsi Lake used to be called after the name of the factory.
  1. Town or Central Square and the first Rock Garden in Talsi, designed by gardener V.Berzins (1965).

 
Across the Nine Hills

Distance – 3,7 km, duration – 2 h 15 min.

  1. Talsi Folk House (Liela Street 19/21). Built in 1912 as Talsi Community House.
  1. Building on Liela Street 17 - built at the beginning of the 20th century and since then has always served as a bank.
  2. Building on Liela Street 16, built in 30’s of the 20th century and has been a cafe until today.
  3. Building on Liela Street 10 has obtained the name ”Pit-house” (it was the first school to the collector of legends and folk tales A.Lerhis Pushkaitis in the middle of the 19th century).
  4. Former gardens of V.Rode in Talsi, made in the 19th century, have witnessed the most productive yew-tree of the town (Taxus baccata) and the pear-tree ‘Talsu skaistule’.
  5. The chapel and cemetery of Heinz–Kupfer’s family (1801-1806) – an architectural monument of national significance.
  6. Talsi Christian school (1995), reconstructed and renovated in the premises owned by the Orthodox church.
  7. Site of Talsi Orthodox Church (1889 – 1972).
  8. Administrative center of Talsi region – Kareivju Street 7.
  9. Krievragkalns /Russian Horn Hill/– name taken from the Eastern orthodox church and land owned by the congregation.
  10. Sports House of Talsi (1980).
  11. Talsi Baptist Church (1936), Kr.Valdemara Street 34.
  12. Seventh-day Adventist Church (1999), Krievraga Street 3 – the first adventist church in Latvia which was rebuilt after the war.
  13. Komsomol Park – the slope of Krasta Street along Vilkmuizas Lake was turned into the park in 1950’s where the memorial stone dedicated to the fallen komsomols was unveiled (1968, by sculptor H.Sprincis).
  14. Vilkmuiza Lake – archeological monument, where a fire burial place of ancient Couronians was discovered (11th-14th century).
  15. Vilkmuiža /Wolf manor/ Hill – origin of the name likely comes from the mythological character of Livs ‘werewolf’.
  16. Talsi Market, built in 1967.
  1. Dzirnavkalns /Mill Hill/ – name comes from the mill that was in operation from the middle of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century.
  1. Baznickalns /Church Hill/ – a cult site to our ancestors prior to the church was built.
  2. Talsi Evangelic Lutheran Church (1567) – the oldest stone building in Talsi. From 1802 to 1836 it was the workplace of pastor Karl Ferdinand Amenda who was a friend of the great composer Ludvig van Beethoven.
  1. Building with a weathervane on Liela Street 41, built at the beginning of the 20th century as a store owned by the first female entrepreneur Anna Bekere.
  2. Rock Garden on the corner of Udens and Kaleju Street.
  1. Monument „Kokletajs” – dedicated to fallen fighters for freedom of Latvia (1996, by sculptors K.Zemdega and V.Titans).Talsi Hospital (V.Rugena Street 7), founded in 1894.
  1. Roman Catholic Church of Talsi (Rugena Street 6). Ringing of three bells – Faith, Hope and Love – can be heard from the belfry built in 2005.
  1. Talsi Regional Museum – reflection on historic, art and nature values of Talsi region (Milenbaha Street 19). A former town residence Villa Hochheim owned by Baron G.Firx of Okte (from 1883 to the agricultural reform of 1920’s).
  1. Tigulkalns /Tigulu Hill/– surrounded by Talsi Dendrology Park where the centrepiece is a circle of oak-trees. The name of the hill comes from the house ”Tiguli”.
  2. Sauleskalns /Sun Hill/– at the bottom of the hill there is an open-air stage.
  3. The Coat of Arms of Talsi (1936) – a symbol of hospitability and friendship.
  4. Memorial place – ‘Soda priede’ /Pine of Punishment/ that witnessed the rebels of the town in 1905.
  5. Monument by sculptor O.Nigule on the Lecu Hill (1981), in remembrance of the 1905-1907 revolution.
  6. Monument „Kokletajs” – dedicated to fallen fighters for freedom of Latvia (1996, by sculptors K.Zemdega and V.Titans).
  7. Town Garden (designed with support from Latvian community of Talsi at the turn of the 19th and 20th century).
  8. Keninkalns /King Hill/ – origin of the name arises from the legend of the Couronian king Lamekin, according to which people out of great respect for him have brought soil with their hats to form a hill.
  9. Town stairs – join hills with valleys and proves that Talsi is a town of hills. Total length amounts to two kilometres.

Attached images

Attached files

Talsi town map. Walking routs

Tags

Talsi
Lielā 19/21, Talsi, Talsu novads
57°14'38.425"N 22°35'26.488"E
+371 63224165, 26469057
tic@talsi.lv
www.talsitourism.lv