Hill Ķēniņkalns

A legend says a Couronian king is buried here and people out of great respect for him have brought soil with their hats and aprons to form a hill above the place where king was buried. With support from Association of Latvians a town park with trees and decorative shrub and a romantic wooden stairway with 122 steps was built on Ķēniņkalns (King's hill) in the end of 19th century. "Ķeizardārzs" or "Pilsētas dārzs" as it was called by citizens quickly became a favorite place for walks and recreation. In 1958 the Festivāla square was built. Since November 16., 1996 there is a monument in Ķēniņkalns called "Koklētājs". The monument that is dedicated to fallen freedom fighters of Latvia was initially designed by Kārlis Zemdega though finished by sculptor Vilnis Titāns. Some things still remind of the past - the old and the new Fabrika street, former wool factory and the war prison from the 2nd World war "Moku kambari" (1944 - 1945). By the foot of the Ķēniņkalns almost 100 years old building lies - "Talsu tautas nams" (People house of Talsi) that was built from funds raised by citizens of Talsi as a Commonwealth house. Tourism information center of Talsi district is located in this building. The town square that attracts Rally of Talsi fans in the spring, town festival guests in July and Dižmāra fair merchants in August was built in the beginning of the 1960ies. Since 1996 the front of the house on 25 Lielā Street is decorated by a stylized ethnographic ornament "Talsu saulīte". 

Attached images

57°14'33.414"N 22°35'33.785"E

Related points